Sunday, September 4, 2011

Its NOT bigger on the inside ...

I started knitting the Tardis socks. The pattern calls for 72 stitches ... usually I do 64 and get 8.5-9 stitches per inch and these fit well. My feet are long, but very thin ... I'm thin, so my ankle and foot circumference are around 7.5". I thought knitting 72 stitches on size 0 (2.0mm) needles would do ... but even with only two rounds done, this looks HUGE for me. With a crude measurement and guesstimate I think its going to come out at 8" ...

What to do?!?! I think I am going to try and design my own Tardis socks ...


It was going quite well ... I know I knit tight, so by the time I got to this point I thought I should try it on and make sure I was stranding loose enough for it to fit over my heel ... nope. Close, but not quite. This is indeed, NOT bigger on the inside.


I should have known this pattern was going to be a problem. I don't know if the skein was like this or I did it. When I cut the ties, I thought I did an oopsie, where I cut the wrong strand ... but maybe it was the ends ... then I found the ends.


What the arrows are pointing to are not the ends, I had to tuck the extra up into the swift in order to wind off the yarn. I had a big ball and an itsy bitsy ball when all was done.

The sock is in time out for the meantime. I think it'll end up working out fine if I strand, REALLY loosely. But right now I have deadline knitting and should stop fooling around with these socks.

I went to JoAnn's on the way home Friday night for some ribbon for my friend's wedding invitations ... that I really need to finish this weekend. I decided to browse while I was there ... my only defense is that I have a head cold and I was delirious ... I know, I know I said no more yarn, but it was buy one get one half ... hey, at least I only got one pair of sock skeins!


Then I saw this cross stitch, too cool to pass up. But $16.99?? Then I saw the sticker "Contains 2 Designs! See Reverse" Well $16.99 isn't too much for TWO patterns. Then I saw the posting, 10% off green stickered cross stitch. Whoo hoo. yeah that didn't amount to much though, LOL!



This store was designed really well. The magazines are all by the register queue. But the isle is large enough that you are not in the way of people in line if you want to just browse the magazines. I picked up the Fall Interweave Knits and the Halloween special Just Cross Stitch while waiting in line. I am a sucker for anything Halloween, its my favorite holiday. I am also a sucker for ornament type cross stitch patterns and this magazine was chock full of both!

5 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I'm a bit leery of stranded socks. After all, I prefer my socks stretchy with at least 10% negative ease ... that doesn't lend itself well to stranded colourwork socks!

Pattern looks cute so far though!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

LOVE the cat patterns! So cute

Alyssa said...

I also bought that copy if IK - very good! :) And, I'm a fan of Patons sock yarn! So, I approve :)

Sue said...

There was nothing you could do....delirious with a cold and the yarn fumes....It is a miracle you got away with what you did! ;) I'll be stalking the newsagents until the Halloween Just Cross Stitch is out....in about two months time! lol You have some very nice goodies there.

I have a question about your swift.....Do you make hanks or balls?

autumngeisha said...

I am sure that you will wrestle those socks into submission. In the meantime, how cute are those cross stitch patterns?!! Halloween is my favorite holiday, too.