Monday, March 3, 2014

FO: Spindle Alpaca

I started with 2 ounces of 100% Alpaca roving from Highland Handmades that I added to the cart when I purchased this Cherry spindle.


The Alpaca is SUPER soft and spins like a dream.  I love this spindle, the wood is beautiful, it spins wonderfully and such a joy to use.


I split the roving in half by weight, then spun up each half on the spindle and used my lazy kate to ply from.  I spun up the singles pretty fine.


This was the first time that I used this kate for plying from a spindle (which was one of the main reasons I wanted this particular kate, in addition to it having a tension mechanism) and it worked awesome!  Here's all I could fit on the spindle, which was almost all of the yarn, I ran out on one side before the other on the kate.


This was also the first time I plied on a top whorl spindle.  The only other plying I have done has been on a Turkish spindle.


I ended up with 182 yds of a fingering to light fingering weight yarn.  It came out pretty good, there is a difference in the thickness of the yarn throughout, I did start spinning this a long time ago, then it sat for a while and I went back to it, that's one of the things I am trying to get better at so that I have more consistency in the diameter of the yarn.

2 comments:

kathy b said...

I think it is simple and LOVELY

elns said...

Beautiful! I am a huge fan of how soft alpaca is but consistently forget how warm it is as well!