Saturday, January 8, 2011

Knit from Stash Club

I just checked back through my blog thinking I posted about this very recently. I had to search for a while before I found that there was a post from February of last year about this ...

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee or The Yarn Harlot, posted before about her "Self Imposed Sock Club" where she got 12 large zip lock bags and put everything she needed in a bag to knit a pair of socks. She did this to get through some stash yarn, avoid that common problem of buying yarn with an idea for the pattern in mind and then it sits in the stash and what you intended to do with it is long forgotten. She planned on knitting one pair a month, drawn at random.

I thought it was such a good idea, I went and did that myself, but I only got 6 kits put together before I was bored with the charade and clearly, as we can see, its sat there on the shelf for almost a year. I didn't even hide it either ... its right here on the shelf next to my desk at bottom right ... mocking me ...



Today I saw a recent post from Pink Lemon Twist, where she thought that The Yarn Harlot's idea was great as well, but wasn't sure she'd want to knit 12 pairs of socks in a year, so she supplemented this idea by adding in shawls and shawlettes that use the same amount of yarn as a pair of socks.



I thought, hey, I've been collecting a bunch of shawl and scarf patterns that use fingering weight yarn (as Pink Lemon Twist noted, it would be crazy to try and get through challenging, laceweight shawls in this manner) and I have oodles and oodles of sock yarn kicking around, so I could do that too!

Clearly as we can see, I do indeed have plenty of sock yarn kicking around ... and this isn't all of it. There's plenty more in the closet and downstairs in bins. I think I will make up 4 more kits for this year, clearly since I didn't even get through 6 last year and its almost mid January, I doubt I could get through 12 this year ...

1 comment:

Sue said...

Don't think of it as stash....think of it as a collection. ;)