Friday, January 14, 2011

Its all a Mystery to me ...

I am debating joining a Mystery Shawl KAL. The pattern is by a designer who's work I have admired in the past and its based on the Lord of the Rings (Super Nerd here). This particular shawl design is based on Galadriel’s crown.

I am one of those people that worries a lot about the colors I use. I don't just grab yarn and dive in. Often I knit in something very close to what the pattern picture shows ... because I already know what it looks like in that color. So, how does one pick yarn for a Mystery? What if I spend hours and hours knitting a shawl and find out I don't like how the pattern looks with the yarn?

This shawl requires 1200 yds of laceweight. I have three options in my stash.


These two are Knit Picks Shadow in Nocturne Heather or Cattail. I have 1320 yds in each color.

I find that I don't like the look of shawls done in striping yarns ... I usually like solids or tonals or kettle dyed yarns. However, last month I bought this:


How many colors can you pick out of here? There's at least 4 or 5 no?

Its JoJoLand Harmony Lace. I looked up projects on Ravelry and is it stripey? You bet your bippy it is ... why did I get this?!?! What was I thinking?!?! Oh I think I know, "Laceweight, 880 yds a skein and its only $10.00?!?!" That's what I was thinking.

So, since I will probably never know what to do with this yarn, would it be a good one to use for a Mystery KAL?

3 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

My thoughts? A solid colour is probably safest for a mystery shawl. But I'm no expert!

Unknown said...

I think a solid would be best for a mystery pattern. However, it looks like the designer is using variegated. Hard choice.

Sue said...

Pick a colourway that you will like. If you prefer solids, use those. As for the verigated yarn, have you thought about making a scarf or a cowl?