Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Tour de Fleece - Day 4

Its not easy to photograph black yarn at 11pm ... or anytime for that matter.  I plied the skein of Merino, Corriedale, Finn, Rambouillet Cross from the batt I was spinning.  The merino from what I can tell is the colored bits.  Its 1.5 oz and about 70 yds of a sport/DK weight.


I had a productive dyeing day today, I dyed up some more self striping.  Shop will be updated mid-July.  I love dyeing self striping, but it is so time consuming.  I started at 9:30 thinking I would be done by noon ... try 2:30.


All the skeins have to be wound off a cone, then made into a 36' (yeah FOOT) skein, soaked, dyed, washed, rinsed and hung.  Then when dry, reskeined into a normal sized skein, because I am assuming nobody wants to try and knit from a 36' skein, LOL!

I've also been practicing on my support spindle with some sample fibers I've been carding into rolags.  I found an excellent book on support spindling (there aren't many out there).  


Its going OK.  I do have a few more supported spindles coming my way to try out different ones (as usual I went coo-coo bananas when I learn a new thing - how did I end up with over a dozen drop spindles?!?!  I stopped counting at 12).  This one is great for a beginner, but the tip is quite bulky and fingers tire easily flicking it.


I also started the Loop bump on the Traveller today.





No comments: