Saturday, December 10, 2011

Surmount the Stash

In an effort to prepare for the Surmount the Stash 2012 I did some more investigating and pondering about my current stash and budgeting for the next year. I found some interesting facts:

In 2011 I made 11 projects in fingering weight yarn. Currently I have 204 skeins ... at this rate it would take me 18 years to knit them.

It would take me approximately one month to spin 4 oz of roving (this is approximate because as of this time I have only spun half in 2 weeks). I have 11 in my stash ... that's about 1 years worth.

I have two bookcases in my computer/knitting room ... neither hold books, they hold yarn, my books reside on the floor. Who says these shelves have to be stuffed with yarn? Shouldn't there be some room for my books?

I have 8 sweater quantities of yarn in my stash. In 5 years of knitting I have knit three sweaters. At this rate these will last me 12 years.

So the ultimate question is what provokes me to purchase more yarn? Is it the shiny factor? Am I concerned that all yarn manufacturers will simultaneously go out of business and there will be no place to acquire yarn for the rest of my life? What's the deal?

Are you in the same predicament?


Want to Surmount your Stash in 2012? Check out the link (click image above) for details!

Join me in 2012 and Surmount your Stash! Post your plan on your blog and link here. I will post and update post at the end of each month in 2012 with a linky widget where you can join by adding a link to you blog.

11 comments:

Kitten With a Whiplash said...

I get 99% of my yarn from thrift shops, and I know a large part of my problem is not being able to walk away from a bargain. The funny thing is that buyer's remorse isn't any less when you've only spent a $5 instead of $50.

I also think part of the problem is the "out of sight, out of mind factor". I wonder what might happen if we carried pictures of our stashes around with us, and couldn't buy any new yarn without looking at them first.

Sue said...

I'm in. My yarn drawers are at capacity.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I've heard it said, that knitters don't by yarn - they buy potential. Each skein has the potential to be a beautiful garment - even if we don't actually have the time to knit it. And it's hard to fight that kind of compulsion!

Alyssa said...

I am def-def-Definitely, with a capital D, joining this and sticking to it! I barely have any room in my tiny dorm room as it is, and with going to LA in a year... I need to pare my stash down, or at least have a plan!

Anonymous said...

Have you checked out the "Stash Knit Down" group on Ravelry. It's a very lively group and the various challenges have helped me to make a real dent in my stash over the past two years.
And yes, for me it is the shiny-new syndrome. If I could think of my stashed yarns as my own shop and even display them this way, I bet I'd have more self-control. Somehow the word "stash" devalues things.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Over the last couple of years I've done a pretty good job at knitting down my stash, but in 2012 I'd like to make one more big push to knit every last yard in my stash and then hold the reins firmly!

Melanie said...

I knit 11 pairs of socks this year and probably have enough yarn to do another 100 pairs. Oof.
I keep buying it though because it's pretty. And sometimes shiny. :)

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Thanks for starting this!

CrochetBlogger said...

I've made my month-by-month plan and am looking forward to being a part of this with everyone!

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

I'm in. The size of my stash should only be spoken of in quiet whispers, lest in spontaneously multiply. Again. Last year I put a good dent in it having gone on a yarn diet but that only lasted for the first 7 months of the year. Then the trouble started.

Mrs. A said...

So so so looking forward to this! Even if my stash is meagre and insignificant compared to most. Stash is contained in zippy bags with patterns on board :-)