Thursday, May 5, 2011
It lives ... dyed roving
Well my braiding skills leave a little something to be desired ... I'll work on that. Initially when I was dyeing this roving I thought it was something I would never do again. I soaked it, and as it was in the bucket I thought, oh boy, was I supposed to do this?!?! Its all floating and mingling together, am I going to be able to find the ends in this mess?? I did, but I also broke it in two, which is why you see two braids here. And while braiding, I also broke each one in two yet again, LOL! Also why the braids are so messy.
It was fairly warm and sunny out while I was dyeing and the roving was drying and fluffing up as I was applying the dye. The nozzle of my squirt bottle was getting stuck in the roving and pulling pieces out. I moved quicker and quicker trying to beat the roving from drying. I thought I was making a mess of it and it was going to be a matted, completely ruined mess by the time I was done.
I found a tutorial after this where the person braided the roving FIRST, then soaked it and injected the dye into the braid. I think I'll try that next time. Then all the roving will be contained and won't be all willy, nilly flying all over the place.
Once the roving dried and fluffed back up and no longer looked like a dead, drowned, furry critter (see this post for that image) ... then I thought, oh yeah, I'll be doing this again!!