Sunday, January 31, 2010

Note to self ... Please check your gauge

Why do I not check gauge? Why, oh why do I not do this? I still think this sweater will be OK, its really not that far off. I'm petite and I made a size 2" bigger, so the fact that my gauge is slightly off should even it out right? Let's hope so.



Pattern calls for 12 sts and 17 rnds per 4". I am getting 14 sts and 20 rnds ... not too bad right?!? At this point I am supposed to stop at 16" on rnd 12. I am at 11 1/2" and have 12 rounds which will get me to about 14" ... if I continue with the chart it'll be another 34 rounds to get back to 12. By then I will be at about 18" ... not good. I have just enough yarn that the pattern calls for and my gauge is off so I am sure I have none to spare. I am going to stop at 14" and go from there, especially since my gauge is off and I don't want to run out of yarn. I measured myself and if I start the arm holes at 14" then the bottom of the sweater should be a few inches below my pant waist line. And I am taking into account that when the sweater is on it'll stretch widthwise and become shorter ... wow thinking ahead now!

Note to self, please, please check your gauge next time you make a sweater!!!!

No comments: